Haven’t been a lot of current news being posted due to working my butt off but!
I finally had a break through with OpenSim. As it turns out I was, from the beginning, flawlessly installing it correctly. Through no fault of my own, I was using Firestorm viewer and Kokua viewer to connect to it, being as they claim they are compatible with OpenSim. This is not the case. They may have been compatible at one time but certainly not with the most current version. There may be some special way you setup your OpenSim so that it is more compatible with those viewers or you may have to be in grid mode vs. standalone.
After weeks of me thinking it was due to an error in my setup/installation process. Through trial and error, tried an older viewer called Hippo. Low and behold, it connected right away. To which, I went back to the OpenSim and OSgrid (still down by the way) sites to try to find something, anything more current than Hippo (it hasn’t been updated in probably 3 years).
Eventually stumbling upon a viewer called Singularity. Which supports all the new fangled stuff like mesh & media on a prim, etc. Is also currently updated as recently as September of this year. So far as I can tell, it works flawlessly and is the viewer I recommend for connecting to our OpenSim at this time (this may change in the future, perhaps when Firestorm get’s their shit together and updated their OpenSim compatibility).
“Enough with the jargon, how do we connect already?”, You may be asking.
1) Download and install Singularity here…
2) After installing and on the first time running Singularity Viewer in the bottom center you will see a button that says, “GRID MANAGER”. Click that then click the “CREATE” button and fill in the 2 fields where it says “<required>” with the below information…
A) For the LOGIN URI: http://ubercrue.ddns.net:9000
B) For the Grid Name you can put anything you want but for simplicity sake name it the same name as the actual grid. In this case it is called: UberVerse.
3) Click “APPLY” then “OKAY”.
4) Now in the bottom center of your viewer above where it has the “GRID MANAGER” button you will see a drop down menu. UberVerse should already be selected, if it is not select it from the drop down menu. If you still don’t see it, you’ve messed up somewhere in the creation process so just start over until you do.
5) Once UberVerse is selected, for first time users, fill in the name/username field (this can be any name you like but you cannot undo this part so make sure you pick a name you like). If you want a first and last name (like in second life) just type your name out normally with a space in between the first and last names.
6) Now choose your password (again, for first time users you cannot undo this part).
7) And finally click the “LOGIN” button.
8) Welcome to our OpenSim!
If you have any further questions feel free to post them up in our forums or hop in our TS server (join info on right hand side of this site).
Just in case, on a side note, I know the 25th isn’t Thanks Giving day but being as it’s only 2 days away from this post & I will probably be pre-occupied the day of, I am wishing you good tidings today.